Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

11.10.2012

Bratwurst or Brat-less Chowder (Make it Vegan)

I bought a case of brats over the summer and froze them waiting for a day to have people over and throw them on the grill.  Well, that day never came.  Last week, I purchased a boatload of meat to stock up for the winter and, quite frankly, I was tired of seeing those brats - let alone all the space it took in my freezer.  So, I took them out to thaw with absolutely no idea what to do with them.  I thought if all else fails, I can put them on the indoor grill and make sweet potato fries to go with them.  Then, before I left work, it hit me...let them eat soup!  Tis the season, right?  

I have been in soup making mode since the Chicago hawk came out to remind us who's boss.  Once home, I worked on this recipe, tweaking here and there, to get it just right for my family.  Well it worked!  My husband marveled at how great it tastes - he even ate it for breakfast (well, that might not be much news :)).  I love making soups during this season to freeze for the kids to take for lunch or just to enjoy on a cold night.  I'm sure your family will love this too - and don't forget you can make it vegan by just avoiding the brats.  It's great and so hearty as a vegan dish!

You will need:

6 - 8 bratwurst links, cooked and sliced in 1/2 in. pieces (omit for vegan)
6 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups water
4 - 6 carrots, sliced in 1/2 in. pieces
1/2 large head of cabbage or 1 small head of cabbage, sliced in 1 in. pieces
3 cups milk (coconut milk for vegan)
3 tbsp corn starch
1 cup white cheese, shredded (omit or use veggie cheese for vegan)


Directions:
  1. In a dutch oven, add bratwurst pieces, potatoes, onion, salt, pepper and water.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium.  
  2. Cover and simmer until potatoes are almost tender.  About 20 minutes.
  3. Add carrots and cabbage to the pot.  Add more water in 1/2 cup increments if needed.
  4. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on medium heat until carrots are tender.  About 10 to 15 minutes.
  5. Combine milk and corn starch and stir until starch is dissolved (no lumps).
  6. Add milk mixture to the pot.  Stir on medium low heat until the chowder thickens.  About 5 minutes.
  7. Stir in cheese until melted and sprinkle extra cheese on top.
  8. Serve and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment