Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

1.16.2012

Baby's Beloved Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I have never been a fan of brussels sprouts.  My mom used to boil the frozen, bagged kind and make us eat them.  As nutritious as I'm sure they are, they just could not be stomached by yours truly.  Fast forward to adulthood...I attempted giving them a chance a couple of years ago while trying to come up with new veggies to bring to the table (plus they were on sale).  Well, let's just say they didn't go over so well.  I never made them again until around a few months ago when a coworker of mine told me brussels sprouts were a staple for her holiday dinners.  In my first trimester, all I craved were fresh veggies and fruit.  So something in me (well the baby in me) told me these brussels sprouts would satisfy my craving.  I had to have them!  I was, however, convinced the traditional method would not work.  So I tried roasting them with olive oil and kosher salt and fell in absolute, undeniable, unequivocal L-O-V-E!  So much so, I had to have them every week since.  On one jaunt to find brussels sprouts, I went to 3 different stores (all of them out of brussels sprouts) and ended up paying twice the normal price at the last store (if you know me well enough, you know my motto is "I will not pay a lot for my muffler"...but not this time).  So to switch it up a bit (because I could sense the family was getting bored with my newfound sprout fetish), I created this recipe and it was a smash.  Now if only I can make them this way for the rest of my second trimester without the family getting antsy.  Probably not, but it was a hit nonetheless.  Enjoy!



You will need:

2 lbs. brussels sprouts, cleaned, stems cut and halved
1 large onion, sliced (white onion shown above but I think red would be best)
1/2 cup bacon bits
2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. kosher salt

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a large 13x9 pan, add brussels sprouts.
  3. Add onion, spreading evenly over brussels sprouts.
  4. Add bacon bits, spreading evenly over brussels sprouts.
  5. Add olive oil, spreading evenly over brussels sprouts.
  6. Add kosher salt, spreading evenly over brussels sprouts.
  7. Toss oil/sprouts mixture to coat thoroughly (add more oil if desired).
  8. Roast in oven on bottom rack for about 40 minutes or until sprouts have browned on the outside.
  9. Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment