Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

1.02.2012

Slow/Pressure Cooker Dish: Poppin' Pot Roast

I am not much of a soul food cook.  I only recently learned to cook collard greens and that's only the ones out of the bag.  But my husband absolutely loves pot roast!  Before marriage, I'd never cooked it before and really don't recall growing up with this dish as a staple in my house.  Well, when I started making this pot roast, I was so convinced this was my ticket into the world of the soul food cook.  I always make this with mac-n-cheese, cornbread and some "soulish" veggie dish.  My husband never said a negative word of my pot roast accompaniments because he enjoyed the roast so much.  Well, one day I was telling my sister about my pot roast recipe and I told her I was having the hardest time figuring out what to cook with it besides mac-n-cheese.  Although this was a telephone conversation, I could see the square look on her face when she responded, "ummm sis, pot roast is not a soul food dish".  "WHAAAAAT?!?!?!?," was my response (LOL).  All these years, I thought collard greens and mac-n-cheese were the only reasonable things to accompany pot roast...my sister had just blown my cover...after all, this roast made me at least an entry level soul food cook, right???  "Ummm, well sis, pot roast usually goes with potatoes and carrots or something...it's not soul food at all...sorry," my sister replied.  And that was my exodus from the world of a soul food cook.  As you can tell from this picture, I still make "soulish" accompaniments with this dish...and my hubby still doesn't complain.  But don't do as I do, do as I say (in this case). Pair this scrumptious pot roast with potatoes and/or carrots (right in the slow cooker) and it's sure to be a hit.  The gravy is so good, you can eat it by itself.


You will need:


5-6 lbs. beef roast (I prefer 2- 2.5 to 3 lb. beef chuck roast)
1 tbsp. seasoned salt
1 tbsp. pepper
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 cup flour
2 tbsp. oil
2-11 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
1 cup brandy
1/2 cup beef broth
3 potatoes, quartered (optional)
4 carrots, sliced (optional)

  1. Using a fork or meat tenderizer, puncture or beat roast on both sides generously.
  2. In a pan big enough to fit one roast, heat oil on high.
  3. In a plate or bowl, sprinkle all seasonings on roast (add more or less seasoning if desired).
  4. Dredge roast in flour on both sides.
  5. Add roast to pan and sear just until browned on both sides.
  6. In a small bowl, add soup, soup mix, brandy and beef broth.  Stir until well blended.
  7. Place roast in slow/pressure cooker.
  8. If using slow cooker, top roast with potatoes and carrots (optional).
  9. Add soup mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or high 4 to 6 hours.
  10. If using a pressure cooker, add potatoes and carrots to the pot only after cooking roast at steady pressure for 25 minutes.  Allow pressure cooker to cool, add potatoes and carrots, cover and bring to full pressure again cooking for an additional 7 to 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment