Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

9.14.2011

Slow/Pressure Cooker Recipe: Curry Chicken w/Sweet Potatoes and Coconut Rice

My girlfriend Marcella just turned me on to pressure cookers.  She called me on Wednesday to tell me about how the food cooks in minutes, it's an energy saver and a must for every busy cook.  She had me at "hello".  I bought two by Friday afternoon and put both of them to use for my big Sunday meal.  I fell in love instantly!  I can't believe I've gone this many years without one.  I remember my mom cooking with one growing up, but honestly didn't give it much thought.  In my brief research, I've found that most slow cooker recipes are also good for pressure cookers.  Given that, why wait for 4-8 hours for a meal when it can be ready in 10-20 minutes?  Ha...it's a no brainer!  You can even throw in frozen solid food and it's done in 10 minutes!  So I decided to try this recipe which I tweaked from another blog at http://www.workitmom.com/bloggers/orderingdisorder/2008/02/21/in-the-crockpot-chicken-curry-with-sweet-potatoes-and-coconut-rice/.  My kids loved this one and they thought the rice was the best.  My hubby had to work late so he'll have to vote on the leftovers tomorrow.  I'm posting it as a slam dunk anyway.  Enjoy!



You will need:
1 5-6lb bag boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
6 medium sized sweet potatoes
2 large onions
2 tbsp curry powder (more or less to taste)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. garlic, minced

For rice:
2 cups jasmine rice
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth

  1. In a 7 or 9 quart pressure cooker, arrange 1/3 of chicken breasts in the bottom of the pot - do not overlap. 
  2. Sprinkle 1/3 of curry powder, salt, and pepper on chicken. 
  3. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts layering and seasoning until all meat and seasonings are used.
  4. Top chicken with garlic and onion spreading as evenly as possible.
  5. Top with sweet potatoes.
  6. Cook in pressure cooker as directed for about 8 - 10 minutes at full pressure.
  7. Allow to cool naturally.
  8. Serve hot over rice.
To make rice:
  1. In a pan, heat coconut milk and broth to boiling, stirring constantly.
  2. Add rice to pan and return to boil.
  3. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium low.
  4. Simmer about 15-20 minutes or until rice is done.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. It is really help to us. Its give us lots of interest and pleasure.

    ReplyDelete