You will need:
2 tbsp olive oil,
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
3-13 oz cans chunk chicken breast, drained
2-15 oz cans black beans, drained
2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes (I use basil and oregano seasoned)
1-14 oz can sweet corn
1-4 oz can green chile
8 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 tbsp cornmeal
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
12 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
sour cream (optional garnish)
monterey jack cheese (optional garnish)
green onions (optional garnish)
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, green and red peppers and garlic. Sprinkle seasonings (chili powder, cumin, salt) on vegetables, stir and saute until veggies are soft.
- Add chicken to pot. Separate chicken chunks as much as possible.
- Add remaining canned ingredients (black beans, tomatoes, corn, green chiles). Stir until well mixed (about 3 minutes).
- Add broth to pot and bring to a boil. If soup is too thick to your taste, add more broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water or milk (@ 1-2 tbsp), then add to pot.
- Simmer soup on medium low heat about 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro to pot, stir and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve soup hot with a dollop of sour cream, tortilla strips and additional garnishments as desired.