Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

10.17.2011

Warm Brown Butter BanaPineapple Cake

I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I can't.  A friend of mine mentioned something about a warm butter cake some time ago and I took to the streets looking for a similar recipe.  No, I had never tasted a warm butter cake before but just the sound of it made me think it was something my taste buds had to have.  In my search, I stumbled upon this gem at one of my favorite recipe blogger's sites.  Here's the original recipe:  http://katefromscratch.com/2011/05/08/brown-butter-banana-pineapple-cake/.  While this recipe is extremely yummy as is, it was a bit too sweet for my taste.  Therefore, I cut the sugar a bit.  Either way, you're in for a treat.  The only other thing I did was rename the recipe to "BanaPineapple".  I felt it had a nice ring to it aside from the fact it draws more attention to the wonderful marriage of the two fruits in this dessert.  Enjoy!



You will need:
6 pineapple rings
One overripe banana, mashed
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbs. rum (I used coconut rum)
1/3 cup pineapple juice (from canned pineapples)
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
3 eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place pineapple slices into buttered 9 inch spring form cake pan.
  3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add sugar, pineapple juice, banana, rum and cinnamon.  Stir until sugar is dissolved. 
  4. Simmer for 2 minutes while stirring. Then remove from heat.
  5. In a large bowl or a mixer, sift flour, sugar and baking soda. 
  6. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each egg.
  7. Add sour cream to the mixture.
  8. Add half the butter/sugar/banana/pineapple mixture into the batter and stir until well blended.
  9. Pour batter into cake pan over pineapples.
  10. Bake in oven for about 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
  11. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
  12. Poke holes in cake with fork then remove outer ring of cake pan.
  13. Flip cake onto plate and remove bottom of cake pan.
  14. Poke holes into top of cake with fork (even through the pineapples).
  15. Pour remaining butter/sugar/banana/pineapple mixture over the cake while it's slightly warm.
  16. Serve warm. (If there are any leftovers, store cake in the fridge and reheat in the microwave for 40 seconds before serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment