Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

2.02.2012

Easy Fruity Pan-Cake Pie

I just read somewhere that February is National Pancake Month.  How did such an important commemoration escape me all these years?  Well, far be it from me not to join in the celebration!  I absolutely LOOOOVE pancakes!  And it helps that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day (although pancakes can be enjoyed at any meal).  I thought I'd post one of my favorite pancake recipes.  It's so easy to make, I don't know why I don't make them more often.  What makes them so easy?  These are made with...(gasp)...PANCAKE MIX!  Yes, I said it, pancake mix!  Yes, yes, I know....as much as I love a homemade batch of buttermilk pancakes, sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, you know?  You can use this recipe with pears, apples or even plums.  Get creative and enjoy!  Happy Pancaking! ;)


You will need:

2 cups pancake mix, prepared (pancake batter)
4-5 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1 stick of butter
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup pancake syrup
1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts (optional)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium size skillet, melt butter on medium-high heat.  Be careful not to let the butter burn.
  3. When butter has melted, add sliced fruit to the pan.  Let cook until fruit is soft, about 5 - 7 minutes.
  4. Pour apple/butter mixture evenly into two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.  Spread apples around in each pan to ensure coverage (you should barely be able to see the bottom of the pan).
  5. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of cinnamon evenly on each pancake mixture.
  6. Pour 1/8 cup pancake syrup evenly on each pancake mixture.
  7. (Optional) Sprinkle 1/4 cup nuts evenly on each pancake mixture.
  8. Pour half of prepared pancake batter evenly on each pancake mixture.  You may need to take a spoon or spatula to spread batter evenly (you should not see the apple mixture).
  9. Bake pancakes in preheated oven until done, about 20 - 25 minutes.  The pancake top should be lightly browned.
  10. Remove pancake pans from the oven carefully.  Place a plate over each pan and flip pan topside.
  11. Carefully lift the hot pan, leaving pancake pie on the plate.
  12. Slice the pancake pie like a pizza or as desired and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment