Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

10.06.2010

Hearty Black Bean Turkey Chili

My family loves this chili.  This was actually the first chili I ever attempted and I haven't cooked it another way since.  It's super simple, delicious and filling.  It goes well with cornbread.  I buy my ground turkey in double 2.5lb packs at Sam's Club so I make a ground turkey dish once a week.  In the winter months I make this dish at least twice a month.  The black beans can be substituted with red beans or a combination of black and red beans.

I cook for a family of 7 and I always make enough for leftovers the next day (you'll find large portions in all of my recipes for this reason).  If you are cooking for less mouths, cut the recipe in half.

You will need:
6-15 oz. cans black beans
2-15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I prefer basil & oregano flavor)
2.5 lbs. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. oregano
2 tbsp. basil
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar


1.  In a deep skillet, sautee onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent.
2.  Add ground turkey to skillet and cook until brown (be sure to consistently chop meat with a rubber or wooden spatula to avoid lumps).
3.  Add black beans and diced tomatoes and simmer on medium heat about 15-20 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for 20-30 more minutes.
5. You may add more seasonings to taste. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment