Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

10.10.2010

Banana Nut Buttermilk Pancakes

I love breakfast...it's absolutely my favorite meal of the day.  I only have time to cook a full breakfast on the weekends.  So each weekend I try to vary my versions of pancakes and eggs.  Today I made these pancakes and for the first time in a long time, I did not use a prepackaged pancake mix.  These were scrumptious!  To save time, use a pancake mix and just add the mashed bananas and nuts.  The homemade mix doesn't take much time though.  Either way, you'll be satisfied.  This recipe made 32 saucer-size pancakes.  I served these with the bacon, cheese and mushroom frittata I will share on the next post.

You will need:


3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup cooking oil
1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
  1. In a large mixing bowl, stir the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
  2. In another bowl, combine and stir wet ingredients (beaten eggs, bananas, buttermilk, cooking oil). 
  3. Add egg mixture to flour mixture.  Stir until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy).
  4. Fold in chopped nuts.  Mix with the batter but do not overstir.
  5. On a lightly buttered griddle, pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake.  For larger pancakes (about 25 servings), pour 1/3 cup batter per pancake. 
  6. Cook pancake batter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.  Turn/flip pancake when the first side is slightly bubbly and edges appear dry.
  7. Cook other pancake side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment