Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

10.11.2010

Quick & Easy Collard Greens

In all of my years of cooking, I would cook just about anything but greens.  My sister, also an avid cook, and I teased each other that growing up watching our mom prepare greens must have frightened us (my sister doesn't cook greens either).  I vividly recall the huge tubs my mother would use to pick, wash, repick, rewash, rinse, wash, rinse and wash greens again.  And all this before they made it to the cooking pot!  Wayyy too much for me I decided.  So every year, we would have my mom prepare a boat load of greens which we would then freeze and thaw when we had a taste for them throughout the year.  That is until now.  I've finally tweaked a recipe that puts that delicious greenery on my table in little more than an hour's time.  Whew!


You will need:


2 tbsp. olive oil
1-12z package bacon (@ 10 slices)
3 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced (@ 3 tbsp.)
3-1 lb. bags pre-cleaned collard or mixed greens
2-32 oz. cartons of chicken broth (@ 8 cups)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

  1. In a large stockpot, heat oil on medium heat and cook bacon until browned but not crispy.
  2. Add onions and garlic to the pot.  Cook until onions are translucent.
  3. Add greens to the pot.  Stir and cook until greens are wilted (@ 8-10 minutes).
  4. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper to pot and stir. 
  5. Cook on medium heat until greens are tender (@ 1 hr.).


No comments:

Post a Comment