Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

6.29.2011

Pineapple Chicken Curry

I've been craving this dish for about a year.  Ever since I had it at one of the best (and cheapest) Chinese restaurants in metro Chicago, ChiTung, I have desired to recreate this dish.  I still think ChiTung's is the best, but this is a VERY close second.  I found the original recipe on food.com and made tweaks to accommodate my taste and more portions, of course.  Enjoy!

You will need:

1/2 cup red curry paste
2-13 oz. cans coconut milk (one regular, one light)
2 tbsp. oil
5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (@ 4 inches long)
5 tbsp. fish sauce
4 tbsp. chili paste
4 tbsp. sugar
1-8oz. can bamboo shoots, drained
1 green pepper, julienned
1 large onion, julienned
1-20 oz. can pineapple chunks
cornstarch

  1. In a bowl whisk together curry paste and both cans of coconut milk until well blended.
  2. In a wok or large pan, heat oil and cook chicken just until center is no longer pink.
  3. Add curry mixture to wok/pan and bring to a boil.
  4. Add fish sauce, chili paste and sugar to mixture and stir until well blended.  Let simmer 3 minutes.
  5. Add bamboo shoots, green pepper, onion and pineapple.  Let simmer 7 minutes.
  6. Add cornstarch 1 tablespoon at a time until sauce has reached its desired thickness (I like it pretty thick).
  7. Serve hot over jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment