That said, I bought a box of Kellogg's gluten free whole grain brown rice krispies a month or so ago thinking I'd make plain old rice krispy treats a little healthier. I decided to spruce it up and add chocolate to the mix. Well, no chocolate recipe is complete without peanut butter...add that in and voila! You've got peanut butter cocoa krispies...and we're still not telling them it's vegan - they'll love them!!
You will need:
4 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
1 cup vegan or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hemp or chia seeds
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
4 cups brown rice krispies
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil and peanut butter on medium heat until well blended (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in cacao powder, chocolate chips, extract, salt and hemp/chia seeds. Mix well and cook on medium low heat until chocolate chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove mixture from heat and add in oats, stirring until well covered.
- Add in rice krispies and peanuts; mix until well covered.
- Pour mixture into a non-stick 13x9 pan (or line pan with foil or wax paper). Spread mixture evenly.
- Allow mixture to cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!