Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

10.15.2012

Thai Corn Chow Chow (It's Vegan)

By now, most of you know I've gone vegan as a result of a weight loss challenge I entered on the Steve Harvey TV show.  Although I thought I'd really miss meat and desserts, I have to say it's going great and I feel the best I've ever felt - so much energy!  The energy level must be obvious because I'm up late posting a recipe and I haven't done this in months!  You can follow my diet progress here:  http://steveharveytv.com/joyces-diet-progress/.

As a die-hard foodie, regardless of what diet I'm trying, my food MUST taste good!  I have found a few recipes that make me think I can be a vegan for life!  This is one of them.  It was originally created/posted by my dietitian and world-renowned vegan, Julieanna Hever, over at http://plantbaseddietitian.com/.  You can find the original recipe here:  http://plantbaseddietitian.com/thai-corn-chowder-cabbage-salad-part-1/.  I made a few alterations based on what I had on hand.  The carnivores in my house absolutely devoured it! ;)




You will need:


2.5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1 tbsp ground ginger
½ tsp coriander seeds or ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp lemongrass, chopped
4 cups frozen corn
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions


  1. In a large pot on medium heat, saute onion, celery, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, ginger, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes in 1/2 cup of vegetable broth until vegetables are translucent (about 5 to 7 minutes).  Stir constantly to blend flavors.
  2. Add lemongrass, 2 cups of corn, remaining broth and coconut milk to the pot.  Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. 
  4. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture in the pot (or blend in a blender and return to the pot). 
  5. Add the remaining 2 cups of corn. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. 
  6. Add lime juice and cilantro.  Stir and let simmer for 1 minute.
  7. Serve hot and enjoy!  



No comments:

Post a Comment