You will need:
2 butternut squash, cooked and mashed
1-12 oz. package bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy whipping cream or half & half
1-15 oz. can cream style corn
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
To cook squash:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half, then quarters. Place on baking sheet with the insides down (skin exposed).
- Cook squash 45 minutes.
- Carefully scoop seeds and membranes from squash and discard.
- Scoop remaining squash into a bowl.
- Mash and stir squash until smooth and well-blended.
To prepare soup:
- In a dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and crumble into small pieces in a separate bowl. Reserve about 2 tbsp. of bacon drippings in pan.
- In pan, cook onion and celery in bacon drippings until soft and translucent.
- Add flour to pan and stir until about 1 minute.
- Slowly add chicken broth to pan. Bring to a boil until slightly thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add squash to pot and stir until blended.
- Add cream, corn, salt and pepper to pot and stir until blended.
- Add bacon to pot. Simmer on low heat about 15-20 minutes stirring consistently.