Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

11.21.2010

Sweet 'n' Sour Turkey Sausage w/Brown Rice

I bought 2 1-pound packs of turkey kielbasa on a ridiculous sale a few weeks ago with absolutely no clue what I would do with them.  I rarely make a sausage dish, and when I use kielbasa, it's usually a simple sausage and onions over rice dish.  After perusing various recipes for weeks, I finally found something that tempted my tummy.  This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home and my changes are very small using pineapple tidbits instead of chunks and serving over brown rice.  I only wish I had quadrupled the recipe as there are not enough leftovers to feed everyone tomorrow with this recipe as it is.  This is a perfect weekday meal since it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.  Enjoy!


You will need:

1 1/2 large onions, cut into 1 in. pieces
2 green/bell peppers, cut into 1 in. pieces
2 tbsp. canola oil
2-1lb. packs turkey polska kielbasa sausage
1-20 oz. can pineapple tidbits
1 cup apricot preserves
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ginger
2 cups hot cooked brown rice

  1. In a large skillet, heat canola oil.  Saute sausage, peppers and onions in oil on medium-high heat until vegetables are tender and sausage is lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
  2. Drain pineapple tidbits and reserve juice (about 1/2 cup).
  3. In a small bowl, combine apricot preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger and pineapple juice.  Mix well.
  4. Add preserve mixture to the skillet and stir until mixed throughout.  Boil mixture until sauce has thickened (about 5 minutes).
  5. Serve hot over brown rice.






No comments:

Post a Comment