Who am I?

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Wife and mother of 6, lover of God, life, family, good food, good friends and good times!

1.24.2011

Veggie's by Mommy Pre

My godmother is one of those great cooks that can whip something together effortlessly.  I spend hours poring over recipes and she is just a natural that can cook whatever comes to her mind and make it taste great!  While over her house eating fast food, she offered me some veggies she'd just made for dinner.  Almost full from my fast food, I declined.  My godsister (a fellow foodie) tasted them and insisted I have some.  It doesn't take much for me to take the bait when it comes to good food.  Needless to say, after I tried them I quickly committed the recipe to memory and I've been making them ever since.  I love mixed veggies but I would have never come up with this combination on my own.  Once you taste it, you too will be hooked.  I should note she originally made this dish as a one-pot meal using a few chicken thighs.  Feel free to add that in the pot in step 1 if you'd like - you can't go wrong!



You will need:

1 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, diced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup carrots, chopped in 1" pieces
3 medium red or white potatoes, peeled and chopped in 1" pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped in 1" pieces
1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, chopped in chunks
3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
2 tbsp. cornstarch or flour
  1. In a 6-quart saute pan, melt butter and saute onion until translucent.
  2. Add broth and bring to a boil.
  3. Add carrots, all potatoes and peppers to pan.  Simmer on medium heat about 15 minutes or until potatoes and are tender.  Add more broth to the pan if necessary.
  4. Add fresh broccoli to the pan and continue to simmer for approx. 7 minutes or until broccoli is tender. 
  5. Add cornstarch or flour to the pan to thicken the broth.  Simmer for an additional 3 minutes.  Add additional cornstarch or flour until broth has reached desired thickness.
  6. Serve hot and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment